Members-only Site   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Capitol Connections Article Shipping to Other States 10.18.13
Share |


Shipping to Other States: A Reminder to all IACP Members

Does your pharmacy send compounded preparations to residents of other states?  Does your pharmacy fill and dispense manufactured prescription drug products to patients who live out-of-state?  Do you process and ship "office-use" prescriptions or sell prescription medications to prescribers in other states?  

What licensing is necessary to ship compounds into other states?

Pharmacies which dispense and ship prescription medications to patients residing outside their state are required to obtain out-of-state pharmacy permits in all states except for Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. Georgia changed its law in April 2013 to require non-resident pharmacy permits. Massachusetts currently has legislation pending to do so as well; however, that law has not yet been enacted.
The legislation establishing out-of-state pharmacies to be licensed and subject to disciplinary action by a state Board was originally introduced in the early 1990’s with the proliferation of mail-order pharmacy services. As compounding pharmacists have expanded their geographical services, more and more are finding it necessary to obtain additional permits.

Some states provide exemptions for obtaining an out-of-state permit. For example, a pharmacy that ships a prescription drug to one of their regular patients who is on vacation in another state and needs an emergency refill may not need to register. State permitting requirements vary and can be found by calling the relevant Board or visiting their website for application instructions.

Make it a priority today to review your licensure or permitting status in all the states to which you send medicines! Please email IACP,, with any questions.

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal